This position is: As Needed Basis
Position Location: Lake Charles, LA
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for obtaining specimens from
patients with minimum discomfort and pain for the performance of various blood
and chemical analysis.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
- Obtaining specimens with a high
degree of professionalism and concern for the patients.
- Become familiar with all
procedures and instruction guides pertaining to obtaining specimens and
- Complete all appropriate
forms: Reference lab log according
- Verify information and patient
- Deliver specimens to appropriate
- Ensure proficiency in aseptic
- Document tests sent to reference
labs and record the results of these tests upon receipt, sending a copy to
the doctor and filing a copy in the lab.
- Maintain a good working
relationship with all departments.
- Keep area stocked with supplies.
- Maintain a file procedure for
special patient instructions.
- Maintain cleanliness of work area.
- Assist with filing and other
clerical duties such as greeting & checking in patients.
- Responsible for learning insurance
- Provide excellent service to both
internal and external customers.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of phlebotomy
- Knowledge of clinic protocols and
High School Diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an approved phlebotomy
training program required. Phlebotomy
of one year of experience is preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Laboratory
setting. Frequent telephone calls and
other interruptions which requires being able to handle a fast-paced work
environment during entire time at work.
Must be able to prioritize multiple projects. Must maintain strict confidentiality and
exercise professionalism when interacting with staff, managers, supervisors,
physicians, external customers, etc.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: requires
continuous standing, sitting, frequent walking, bending, and stooping. May require heavy lifting 50-100 pounds. Exposure to possible hazardous materials/conditions
and infectious diseases.