SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for providing primary care services, including assessing and
managing patients following established standards and practices.
1. Performs complete physical exam,
obtains complete medical history and records findings. Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic
procedures. Interprets and integrates
data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan.
2. Administers medications and
injections in compliance with state law and clinic guidelines. Sutures minor lacerations.
3. Instructs patient/family regarding
medications and treatments. Educates
patients regarding health and illness prevention. Recommends community resources to meet
patient and family needs.
4. Collaborates with physicians in
managing acute and long-term medical needs of patients. Provides monitoring and continuity of care
between physician visits. Maintains and
reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results. Triages patient telephone calls and provides
5. Maintains patient confidentiality.
1. Knowledge of professional nursing
theory, practices, and regulations to give and evaluate patient care.
2. Knowledge of how to use medical
equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
3. Knowledge of common safety hazards
and precautions to establish/maintain a safe work environment.
REQUIRED: MSN and successful completion of an approved
nurse practitioner program.
State of Louisiana NP or PA license. Cardiology experience is preferred but not required.
1. Skill in applying and modifying the
principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing
2. Skill in taking medical histories to
assess medical condition and interpret finding.
1. Ability to maintain quality control
2. Ability to react calmly and
effectively in emergency situations.
3. Ability to interpret, adapt, and
apply guidelines and procedures.
4. Ability to communicate clearly and
establish/maintain effective working relationship with patients, medical staff,
and the public.