JOB SUMMARY:† †Using
the nursing process, the licensed nurse will assess, coordinate and plan care
to meet the identified needs of patients who are scheduled to have surgical
procedures done at ICSC. †The nurse will conduct
a pre-operative interview/phone assessment with the patient, provide pre-operative
teaching and instructions, as well as assess any pre-surgical needs that
require further attention from anesthesia or other departments.††† He or she will provide support and back up
for personnel by performing the following duties:
following.† Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicates appropriately with peers, management and
physicians, patients and patientís family members.
- Demonstrates competency in pre-admission of patients
stressing the importance of preoperative instructions such as NPO status.
- Demonstrates competency in obtaining required
pre-surgical paperwork in a timely manner such as consents, clearances,
H&Pís, labs and EKGís as indicated.
- Pre-operative educator.
- May participate in postoperative phone calls and post
- Is knowledgeable about medications and accurately
documents on the Medication Reconciliation Sheet.
- Demonstrates competency in teaching patients and
family member or significant others of what to expect on the day of
measures patient progress toward designated outcomes and revises plan of care
and interventions as necessary.
practice includes systematic pre-operative assessment of patient history.† Nurse ensures data is collected, documented,
significant observations and information to the surgeon, anesthesiologist/CRNA,
and Team Leader as indicated.
chain of command.† Communicates
reportable situation to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.† Maintains confidentiality of management
information, displays discretion and good judgment in communication methods.
analyzes data to determine appropriate interventions; designs and coordinates
implementation of plan of care to achieve patient outcomes.
knowledge, skill, and judgment in preparing for patient care.
- Under the direction of the RN, the LPN demonstrates
competency in assisting to admit, and recover patients from regional,
local, IV conscious sedation, monitored anesthesia care and general
anesthesia for pediatric, adolescent, adult and elderly patients.†
- Perform lab tests Ė UPT, Blood Sugar, Hemacue.
16.† Assists in
the orientation of new employees to center.
- Encouraged to participate in at least one of the
- Adheres to surgical principals and practices as
described in the centerís policy and procedures.
- Participates in the centerís staff meetings and
- Maintains CEU as required by State and centerís
- Follows centerís policies and procedures.
- Promotes the improvement of nursing care within the
- Able to accept counseling from Team Leader in a positive
manner.† Displays ability and desire
to initiate corrective action.
clinical knowledge and skills to plan, evaluate, and perform the quality of
nursing care, which meets the standards of nursing established by the surgery center.
attitude toward new ideas, work environment, and ongoing education.
of established safety regulations.
to the surgery center in emergency
in techniques to prevent the spread of disease and awareness that the job may
require contact with communicable diseases.
of emergency equipment/drugs with the ability to react and assist promptly and
professionally in any situation.
familiar with the center's FIRE, SAFETY, AND DISASTER PLAN, and his/her role in
the event of each.
timely completion of variance reports when indicated.
satisfactory attendance.† Notifies the
Team Leader if unable to report to work as defined in the Employee Attendance
33.† Is punctual
in arriving for duty on assigned workdays.
duties as may be assigned within the scope of assigned job.