This position is: Full Time
Position Location: Lake Charles, LA
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Essential Function:† The Coding
Manager responsibilities will be to provide oversight of all the Coding/Charge
Capture activities and management of all Coding Specialists. The Coding
Specialists activities include but are not limited to Charge Entry, Medical
Chart Documentation translation of services, procedures and diagnosis into
appropriate medical codes for Claim Submission, Code Research, and Clinical
Denial Appeals. The Coding Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all Coding
Specialists are trained and are performing as required to meet the overall
financial goals and operational expectations of the organization.
Supervision: Revenue Cycle Director
- Directly manages the Coding Specialists and all coding/charge capture
workflow processes that are included in the correct and timely assignment
of medical codes for maximum reimbursement for the organization.
- Ensures that all coding functions are compliant, accurate and
supported by medical documentation in the patient records.
- Develops and maintains processes and procedures
to comply with and adapt to changes in regulatory requirements and
organizational revenue cycle workflows.
- Provides information to healthcare providers as requested and
facilitates all internal audit requests.
- Reviews medical records for compliance with state, federal and private
- Responsible for facilitating the correction of all claims that are
returned/denied for clinical and coding-related reasons in a timely
- Establishes goals and outcomes for the
Coding Specialists as it relates to the Coding/Charge Capture functions.
- Monitors and trends Key Performance
Indicators (KPIs) for Coding Activities and reports finding to the Revenue
- Responsible for assigning tasks, setting priorities, and monitoring
overall efforts of the medical coding team as it relates to the duties
independent judgment in the hiring, coaching/development, performance
evaluation and termination of assigned employees.
- Responsible for all set up and maintenance of the CPT/HCPCS codes/charges
in the Practice Management System.
- Responsible for coordinating and scheduling continued educational
workshops for the medical coding team.
- Other duties as assigned
Billing practices and Clinic policies and procedures
and clinic operating policies; legal aspects/confidentiality
Medicaid, Commercial and state/ federal regulations governing health
processes and medical procedures
- work independently, effectively and with
- utilize the computer to accomplish medical
- work effectively with personnel at all levels
and promote teamwork
- planning, prioritizing and organizing work
assignments and department functions
- keeping updated on medical record
documentation practices and licensure requirements
- Must possess excellent discretionary
judgment and good organizational skills as well as excellent verbal and
written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with
sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner. Must be
able to relay information accurately in telephone conversations, messages,
email, and other forms of communication. †
†KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Microsoft Office:† Must be proficient in Word and Excel
- Proficient skills in typing and 10 key by touch.
†Certification in Medical Coding is required and a Bachelorís degree in Business related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of Medical Coding experience in a medical office/facility setting
- Minimum of 2 years of Supervisory/Management experience in a professional office setting